An anniversary and old friends

Two years ago today, Lorraine and I got married. Clearly the best life decision I've ever taken. I never thought that being married would be so fantastic. Nor did I expect that being married would improve our relationship still further.

Up early and off for La Barbarie's breakfast. A full Guernsey Breakfast for me, despite confirmation in the news that red meat, and processed meat such as sausages and bacon are bad for you.  I almost never eat red meat, and very little processed meat, so I took my life in my own hands. Very tasty as usual.

Another unexpectedly beautiful day. We took ourselves off to town on the bus. I went to the joke shop, stuffed full of witches costumes, rubber spiders and ghost masks and asked if they had a Frankenstein's head. 'No, we don't have anything like that here,' said the woman behind the counter unhelpfully, with no attempt to cross sell me on, say, a zombie head.

A spot of shopping here and there, some wine for tonight and so on. We decided to go to Hojo's for a bite to eat. Previously I'd had very nice times there but we had a bit of a  disaster. It was busy and our order was forgotten, something announced to us unapologetically after half an hour. Instead of our order then being made a priority, other people came and went being served until after an hour feeling enraged we simply left, without paying for the drink we'd had. Absolutely atrocious. It made me feel very angry and stressed, which of course I understand was just triggered by the dismal service, not caused by it.

Felt much better just walking out, and buying a few snacks from M&S. We were soon back in the tranquility of La Barbarie, and Mum and I then went out for another walk, while Lorraine read and relaxed. Headed off to the top of Petit Bôt, then doubled back and went home by different lanes. Mum a bit like the Duracell bunny when it comes to walking.

A bit of a doze, then we freshened ourselves up, and were collected by Richard. Fond hellos, and he drove us up to the top of the island complaining enjoyably about the service in Hojos and so on. Then bursting in on Jane, cooking up delicious things.

A lovely night with plenty to discuss over some lovely food. There was Richard's astonishing three placings in the International Guernsey poetry competition and his recent trip to Belfast. Jane's enormous contribution to the recently published Genius Friend by Edward Chaney. Also her discovery of records of her father's amazing wartime exploits as a navigator aboard a special ops RAF squadron. She has recently been in touch with the son of the Squadron Leader who was also the pilot her father flew with. Better still she will soon have access to a This is your life style Danish program, which featured her father as a guest. Naturally there was a certain amount of heroic Chad talk and discussions about Lorraine becoming a headteacher amid general gossip.

We'd cleverly prearranged a taxi so we arrived home in good time too. It does my heart good to see old friends. Richard gave me a poem to read later. A gorgeous poem in four parts about hares.

Below St Peter Port, a snap down towards Castle Cornet, me and Lorraine on our anniversary,  we took lots with Mum too. I took one of Lorraine and Mum, but Lorraine unexpectedly looked exactly like Frankie Howerd in it, while I look bestial and depraved in the three I have of Mum and me, a couple of snaps by the top of Petit Bôt  Jane and Lorraine, Mum and Richard, Richard and me (although I have the effrontery to be wearing a Richard Fleming trademark white shirt in the master's very presence).
















Comments