Another fantastic show

Cat on a hot tin roofing it today waiting for the show to arrive. In the morning a spot of work, gym, then Sainsburys and was busy contemplating the two hour cleanup I needed to do before my Mum arrived, when she arrived. Afternoon mooching with Mum down by the sea, spotting dozens of starfish being pulled from the sea by gulls as it was a very low tide. Then a warming coffee before a plate of morale stiffening fish and chips on a seafront cafe.

Arrived at the Marlborough Theatre at six to find Betty and Mark there drinking a nervous pint, along with Paul who'd come down from London to see it, despite having his ears talked off my Lorraine in Ye Old Cheshire Cheese. I left Mum and Paul to it, and scarpered upstairs to help set the stage and wring my hands. Betty and Mark both extra nervous tonight, which I thought was a good sign.

Then downstairs to drink steadying beers and chatter nervously to friends. Much relieved by Lorraine's arrival as she makes me calm.

Then it was time again. The theatre was almost at capacity lots of friends and family. Nice to see Richard Gibson and Steve and Dipak there, plus Matt and John. Interestingly different audience tonight -- picking up on different laugh lines -- but laughing and attentive.

Mark gave a powerhouse performance, but Beth was the biggest revelation. Whenever I have seen her act she has had to make do with fairly uninspiring roles. I had always suspected that she had real comedy talent, but I had my expectations greatly exceeded: she is fantastic. Her timing is impeccable and she has an outstanding comedic presence. And people were full of praise for her afterwards. Mark and Beth work together exceptionally well. Callum put in another Stirling performance I couldn't have asked more from any of them. There was a camera running during the show, so I may at some point be able to post some excerpts.

I felt proud of myself too. Wrong was originally written about ten years ago, and its time has come round at last, helped by perfect casting. Suddenly I realised that it is a tidily constructed and funny piece that works as drama. And this is a tremendous boost to my confidence. Tarik who runs the Marlborough came to watch the play and told me loved it, and we're going to have a meeting as he was keen for me to do other things there. Handily I have at least two strong plays almost ready to go: success happens when preparation meets opportunity.

So many people were complimentary about the show afterwards that it was impossible to evade the conclusion, once again, that I am exceedingly big and clever. Had a lovely evening afterwards with cast and most of the audience in the side bar at the Marlborough. Mum had a great time, much of the time spent chatting to Pat and Maureen.

For me it was an evening I won't forget.

Comments

Peter,

Do try and post some video for those of us not in your area and unable to see the play. Would love to see it.