Back to school

Off to school again today. Scrambling up a steep learning curve, but it was much better this session, and I enjoyed myself. As before, the children were interesting - 10-11 year olds and many of them very bright, asking lots of questions and listening well.

Funny however, when almost everyone is listening, your antennae keep twitching for the one or two kids who are not engaged. Teachers afterwards encouraging with their feedback. As I was leaving a delegation from one class gave me a card saying "We (heart) your book" with a picture of Skelton Yawngrave on it. Another teacher gave me a wad of two stars and a wish comments, i.e. two things they liked and which were positive, although one or two of the brighter (but interestingly not the brightest) kids thought it was too childish for them, the comments were often very positive. Overall an excellent (if slightly daunting) experience to stare into the faces of your potential audience and have them interrogate you.

They all loved mum's paintings too. Confirmation if any was needed that she needs to do more--and harder--work for me.

Before I went in today I told Lorraine and Anna about an anxiety I'd been having: that I would appallingly expose myself to the kids due to some unspeakable wardrobe malfunction. Of course I would be arrested and spend at least ten years in jail.

I'm pleased that didn't happen although imagine my horror when at Anton and Anna's to drop off Oskar's present when I discovered I'd been walking around with my flies undone all the time.

My lovely Godson was four today. He is a great kid with a wonderful personality. Had a nice time sitting in the garden, eating pieces of the most delicious homemade fudge (peanut butter fudge) with Klaudia and Oskar playing happily around and about, while drinking tea with Anna and Anton. Felt like the summer was starting.

Comments