Crossing the Rubicon

Lorraine I decided this morning, is actually some species of angel. I crawled out of bed, and she fed me tea, a bacon buttie, pills and orange juice till I could function again.

We drove to my place where we picked up Matt and headed off to a rehearsal room in Sussex University. Today my Rubicon was to be crossed. The first rehearsals with members of the Tacet Ensemble. My secret horror was that I would miss all the cues in the music, and look like a chump. However the rehearsal went better than I dared hope.

Amazing to see proper musicians at work. They just sat down and played, and instantly the piece was alive. Ellie was on violin, Thomas on marimba, Adam on vibraphone, and Glen on piano, and they made the sonorous sound that hung in the air in what I can only describe as a magical way. I was happy with how I performed too and the words and music seem to fit one another perfectly, and I found most of my cues. Matt had always said that we'd know pretty quickly if it was going to work or not. To me it seemed to work brilliantly. Matt's music is absolutely spellbinding.

To be part of something so beautiful, and to work with such musicians was an experience like no other I've ever had. At the end of the rehearsal they clapped Matt and me, which Matt later said was the first time that they'd clapped a new work in the ten years he'd been involved with them. Back in Lorraine's car afterwards I felt an amazing surge of relief that I hadn't screwed up. I'd crossed my Rubicon and all was well. Matt very happy too.

Home and lazed for the rest of the day, with the most excellent Lorraine. Feeling hung over still, and also elated. Brilliant.

Below some shots of the rehearsal taken by Lorraine.













Comments

Amanda said…
Hi Peter
Is there going to be a recording made?
Peter Kenny said…
Yes I think so...