A beer with the boys

An early knock on the door just as I got up, and two parcels with photos in frames from Sprinkles, one for Anton and Anna and the other for me. Wonderfully wrapped and presented as you would expect. She really is a tremendously thoughtful person.

Worked cheerfully on my poems on the way to work, and feel that at last, there is a strong thread of connection between them. At work The Gnome were cooped up all day, as we had a teleconference at lunch with a lady from Coventry with a cold.

However I left work early with the French Bloke as he had an evening pass. We met Matty boy in a pub called the Admiral Codrington for a drink, prior to him going on a date. It felt very altogethery to be in the company of the chaps, although both of them are looking gallingly whippet-thin and healthy. Enjoyed Matty enquiring quizzically of the barman "would it be possible to buy some beer?" as if the idea had just occurred to him.

After Matty left for his date, the FB began talking about how much he loved Max which was quite heartwarming, and quite handy given that another baby girl is due in the next couple of weeks. The way he was talking about her made me showed him one of my old love poems called Exorcism, and he surprised me by being genuinely moved by it. We then repaired to a Thai restaurant where we chatted lengthily.

Home late and I got a note from Diane in New York saying my painting, called Felon, has been dispatched. I am very excited!

Here is the old poem I showed the FB. Was published first in a magazine called Acumen what seems a hundred years ago.

Exorcism

Between our bodies we have made in darkness
A place of warmth and quiet breathing

Almost disowned, our hands moved across the sheet
And their meeting held us to gently begin.

Even in this moment we are not alone
Part of the people we are is other people

And day to day, often and uncomfortably,
Their references intrude

Some expression that she'd used
I said just before I'd kissed you

And with an inclination of your head
You still reflect his pet gesture.

But if, in this act, we can make amends
For those who have hurt us and those we have hurt

And if, in this act, we can reaffirm
The hope that had grown weak; a hope for love

Then we have truly begun and our love will come
To exorcise this chosen moment

Like a priest in an old house sending sour memories
Scuttling through every door and window.

Comments