An evening of pink wine

Sprang up in the morning to copy the soundfiles to deliver to the radio station, and my computer simply froze before I could do so. Had to rush off to work after swearing violently at it. Swearing can often help I've found, and machines frequently respond to threats. Not this time though, and so I left for The Smoke feeling somewhat doomy and enraged. Being unable to find my brand new shades didn't help either.

Listening to an excellently-read Audiobook of Lawrence Durrell's Bitter Lemons of Cyprus. Interesting description of a the last few years of British rule there when Greek Cypriots begin guerrilla war against British rule, seeking enosis (unification) with Greece. More enjoyable is the loving portrayal of characters and wonderful language. He clearly loved Greece and Greeks enormously. He is somewhat out of fashion now, but an amazing writer. It has filled me with a dreadful yearning to go back to Greece.

At work I got a funny email from Romy, reporting Toby's unspeakable Settlers of Catan board game behaviour out there in the wilds of Ontario with Joan and Dick. And he won too.

After work, I met up with Matty and Kate for a gossip in the Riverside and out of nostalgia and simple good manners we refreshed ourselves with pink wine and ate on the terrace as the sun set behind Hammersmith Bridge. There was lots of pink wine and general bonhomie as you'd expect. In fact I surfed home late feeling very refreshed indeed.

Comments