Dove and Serpent

Back to work but, as the earlier Wittgenstein says, what we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence. It was nice, however, to see the Gnome, and Trace who told me a small amount about what sounds like an amazing trip to China.

Sloped off with the FB at lunchtime for two plates of hake and a few chortles in the Dove. I love that place and it was good to be there shooting various breezes with the French Bloke in the darkest corner of the old part of the pub.

Listening to a new book on my iPod called Samuel Pepys: the Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin. Fascinating listening, which puts Pepys in his historical context at the time of Cromwell and Charles II and so on. Absorbing stuff, especially as this is one of my blank spots in history.

In fact I'd say that my worst blank spot was roughly 1300-1800. It is amazing to have only a sketchy knowledge of entire centuries. I blame my school. I dropped history as soon as I could because it was so appallingly taught. My last history teacher, one Mr Silver, simply opened the text book at the beginning of the lesson, droned it aloud 40 minutes, and then closed it before sending us away.

Home and ate some lumpia, large spring rolls filled with both meaty and vegetable goodness. Sprinkles had made for me when she was over, and taught me how to roll them. They were exceedingly nice, and the fiery sauce was still on lively form, and I told her as much when we IMed briefly.

Then I was up the hill to see Anton about dragons. When I arrived Anton was ostentatiously drinking mineral water, and declaring that he was now a non-drinker, and was refusing to listen to Anna because she had drunk half a glass of wine and was therefore unreliable. Anton's teetotalism has lasted three entire days, a fact in which he is revelling.

Much less annoying was that he had been to Horsham Museum and bought a copy of a just published limited edition booklet on Horsham's Dragon, which includes the "True and Wonderfull - A Discourse Relating to a Strange and Monstrous Serpent (1614)".

Reading it we learnt about "black letters" which is a type of Gothic-looking font which at that time was reserved for important tracts, bibles and so on. The Discourse was originally printed in that font, possibly indicating the importance of the news it contained. The dragon was actually described as a serpent, and we discussed this at some length.

Then sleepily home, with the dragon book in my man bag.

Comments