Home is where the heart is

Spring clean of the mind and home continues: I bought a small filing cabinet and files and now have all my bills and tiresome correspondence filed away. This is almost bordering on the organised. Also did a spot more shopping and saw an excellent bargain on a shop demonstration global knife, which brings my complement up to three which, according to Romy, is all the knives a gentleman needs. I then rounded up my arsenal of rubbish knives, about 12 of them. Not sure how to dispose of these, perhaps fling them at felons in the twitten.

Loved being at home today. I put a bean jar in the oven and loaded it with herbs, and I could smell it cooking allday. I also sat in front of my computer and tried to write but instead got sucked into listening to a dramatisation of Germinal by Zola on R4. Really good. But I know that there is a lot of stuff in the pipeline. To my surprise I was also contacted through IM by Mary Jane. She says that Jack is now a vegetarian, and Kate is behaving like a teenager. She also said that she found that Kate had kept a picture I'd drawn with her, which made me feel happy.

In the evening bizarrely gripped by, of all things, the World Darts championship final played between two 50 year olds, Adams and Nixon. A wonderful study in the psychology of "choking". Adams, the world no.1 - but, I learned, famed for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, stormed into a 6-0 lead. They had a break, and on return however his outsider opponent Nixon then produced amazing form to win the next six sets in a row, with Adams completely losing it (many entertaining shots of his wife on the edge of a breakdown in the crowd). However when they were 6-6, Nixon the underdog in turn suddenly lost his composure as the prospect of Victory dawned on him, and Adams won. This is fascinating to me as I always seem to choke too in one-on-one games. I still don't know how you'd overcome this. Why does it happen, only to leave you with a Charlie Brown gloom?

Before bed had a glass of wine had a warm and funny skype chat with Sarah in Florida whose birthday it was today. Interesting to hear about her weekend of celebrations with her pals in Tampa.

Then to bed listening to my boiler's mad screaming horse impressions which continued till I shut it down. I have a suspicion that the previous owner installed the system himself, and I've got a feeling that it is about to expire entirely.

Comments