The Dove and The Dark Place

Heard about Alice Coltrane's death today. She was an amazing woman who died on Jan 12th and her album Journey in Satchidananda has to be one of my top ten records of all time (despite being impossible to pronounce). She is a Jazz musician with a spiritual dimension and an Eastern flavour having lived in India for some time, and has some amazing moments.

Went to work. And I didn't like it. Sat in a soul-sapping meeting and then went out at lunchtime for a walk with the French Bloke along the river. It was a blessed relief. Sat in The Dove by the open fire and had a laugh and a beer before returning to The Dark Place. Work seems an intolerable burden, even though nothing bad is happening, and I am full of a yearning for freedom and a feeling of dissatisfaction with my lack of achievement. Part of me welcomes this, however, and I intend to use it as a spur.

Back home to my thankfully warm house, as the temperature is plummeting now to normal January levels. Warmed up with green teas and had an IM conversation with Sarah before bed, and she nicely helped me get a bit of perspective on life.

Below the late Alice Coltrane.

Comments