Happyness and the Mock Turtle

Trace down from London for the afternoon. A nice day chatting over wide-ranging subjects over a noodly lunch at Wagamamas. Trace wanted to see The Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith's character was fighting against poverty, losing his home and partner and so on while working as an unpaid intern for a stockbroker's company while being an only parent for his son. It was a gruelling and grainily shot journey. "Happyness" is deliberately misspelled.

A quick hobble by the sea to watch Trace smoke a cigarette and blow the cobwebs away. Noticed the sliver of the new moon, with Venus gleaming above it in the clear sky. It made me feel very cheerful as I'd seen the last two new moons through train windows and, through no fault of my own, am superstitious about such things. It is going to be a cool month.

Repaired then to The Mock Turtle. I love it in there and Trace and I had a pot of tea, and I ate a scone, and she had a buck rarebit, and we discussed how grateful we were to be solvent.

After Trace had set off for London I spoke to Anton who was out with his pals John and Rick, who were in the same ante-natal group. Joined them for a few beers in The Basketmakers, and then The Great Eastern pubs. It is a top priority for me to get to know more people in Brighton this year. I'd met both before but it was a chance to get to know them better. John is a drum playing headmaster of a junior school and drops questions into the conversation all the time, such as "what is the highest-altitude European capital?" etc. A nice guy though. Rick is quite laid back and likable, and apparently is a good guitarist. A nice night full of chat.

Home, and a long chat with Sarah before dragging myself gratefully off to bed.

Comments