Stormy weather

Back to work. A dark, wet morning, which turned into an extremely windy one, with 77 mile an hour winds at Heathrow, and 10 people being killed across the country.

On the train listening to Tolkien to blot out a feeling of being quite dismally down. But this passed quite quickly once I'd reached work. Got an email from Sarah saying Florida was gripped by a London fog, while we had one of their hurricanes.

Between meetings, the Gnome and I spent the day looking down at the wind blowing so hard that spray was picked up from the river surface and whipped about. Trees were blown down nearby and roads were closed off. From our vantage point, the Gnome and me watched some new fencing being blown down on the building site nearby. I took a walk outside for a while and it was really buffeting, and almost difficult sometimes to stay on your feet.

Chatted with the FB who had flown in from New York this morning. He said the last fifteen minutes of the flight was a bit lively. With little to do, I left work early, anticipating major commuter disruption. There were horrible problems, however I managed to get home okay, though the journey took a lot longer than usual.

Jeff, one of the plumbers I spoke to yesterday called back this afternoon, and told me to call him in the evening. He guided me through fiddling with the boiler. I sent him a photo with my phone of the setup and he told me what to do. After several adjustments all was well. And he wouldn't accept any money. This was astonishing, and Jeff was such a nice guy too. Felt very happy about not having strange horse noises any more. All is well.

Below the storm lashes Brighton the beach near the pier -- nicked from the BBC news site.

Comments