Back on the boards

Well... My centre stage moment came quickly. I took myself down to the Sanctuary Cafe in Hove for an open mic night of poetry and song... And read my first poems at a real venue for about 13 years.

Despite being rusty and strangely nervous, what I read was well enough received. And I was delighted to have broken through a mental barrier. I associated performing poetry (which I did for years, often several times a week) with my friend Tim who died of AIDS, and also with being continually skint.

What I found however, was that I really enjoyed myself. The poetry was great, and very well performed with one or two excellent poems cropping up. The influence of rap is filtering through, since I went away, and there was one guy doing poetry improvised on the spot - a bit like the freestyling of rappers. Veered into logorrhoea sometimes but was still interesting.

The evening was recorded, and the odd poem may be broadcast on a new local radio.

There was a genuinely wonderful young singer songwriter during the break (stupidly can't remember her name) with a great voice and songs. Plus another music act with two women being ironically experimental, dressed in berets and matching outfits (with piano key socks) doing funny things with sampling and singing. Not to mention the woman playing keyboard leaning on it to make noises with her bust.

A very enjoyable night all in all. Another step into integrating myself in Brighton.

Comments