Transformer

A bit of a mind-blowing day. Went to London to meet Bob under Nelson's Column, leaving Beth to deal with the washing machine guy. From there we had a quick coffee and then went to two exhibitions at the 180 The Strand. They were totally immersive, Transformer: a rebirth of wonder, and Other Spaces. Both were installations, in that every room was an environment, with sounds and moving light and so on. Transformer particularly was quite trippy, moving from room to room having gained access through a sloping concrete ramp into the back of a building being rebuilt. Fascinating stuff, with environments that dwarfed you and made you feel puny or whispered-to or as if you had wandered into the set of a SF film. Other Spaces was perhaps more consistent in quality, and there was less work there. Both Bob and I found the experience really good.

I was feeling slightly anxious. I had mislaid my usual debit card (which I found at home later). But was feeling a bit strange generally, that left me rawer to these environments than I might have been. Funny how one room in Transformer had furry red walls, and it felt instantly calming and reassuring, which is not what red is supposed to do.

Received two story rejections while walking about in an effort by the Gods to dispel my optimism. It won't work.

Bob and I then sloped about wandering between a few pubs. Tried Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, whose best bar was too full to enjoy, so we went instead to the Mitre and a couple of other places. Great to see him again, and have time just to talk about life the universe and everything for several hours.

It was beginning to rain heavily again so we popped into Pizza Express and had some grub there, before wending our ways home. I finished re-reading Metamorphosis by Kafka on the way home.  A splendid story.  Home to find Lorraine in bed, my card on my desk, and the washing machine mended.








Comments