A musical revelation

Up working early and, with Lorraine's help, finalised my proposal for going into schools with Magnificent Grace. When Lorraine kindly sent out the note, one head teacher answered instantly and affirmatively and instantly bought the book online. This is good news and get things rolling on that front. Lorraine is the tops.

Heard from Matthew G Rees today, who has put up one of his own stories The Snow Leopard of Moscow on the Horla Website. I had a quick read of it, and it is strong and brooding and features beggars and plays horrifically to Jungian archetypes.

Off to the gym at lunchtime too, which although not fully powered up yet, still I managed a decent workout.

Also contacted by Pat today with some freelance coming my way next week.

In the evening I went off to meet Innis and his pal Phil, and Phil's pal Tom in a pub called the EST just around the corner from the chalk venue. I ordered a pint of beer called Revelation, while I was waiting, and by thunder it was good. When Innis came in I had another, and only then realised it was 5.7 in strength. Went to the venue, which was larger than I had thought, to see Michael Kiwanuka, who was just great.

I was quite surprised when I saw him and his guitarist on stage, because I realised a man I had seen in the street that had somehow reminded me of an old university friend Michael Stone Richards as he passed (not in looks but in his eloquence as he was chatting to his pal) turned out to be Kiwanuka. His songs are great, he has a wonderful voice and he is a lovely warm character. He played just with him and his guitarist, plus two wonderful backing singers.

Innis disappeared to the front with his long nosed camera, and Tom who was a musician disappeared off to chat with the backing singers and I was left with Phil who I had met once before. Turns out was a recording engineer, and in his first month of working as a young lad worked with Thin Lizzie and The Jam -- and went on to work with all kinds of legends.

After the gig, Innis and I walked off to find a pub for a final beer where we were set upon by a persuasive beggar, who once we had given him some cash, demanded more. I suggested he'd had enough from us already. Then another man began to follow us, abusing us roundly and repeatedly until I invited him to stop doing so and he ran away. Quite a coincidence after reading Matthew's story this morning.

Off then towards Hove, where we saw a fox in the street and had another beer and a good chat, before I jumped in a cab with my top hat slightly askew, and Innis sauntered the short distance home.

Below Michael Kiwanuka, and a fox.




Comments