The Sound and the Fury

Up and working early on poems, and social media posts. Trying formulae such as lists which work quite well.  I wrote a list about aliens in advertising, and also worked a little on the new poem. Lorraine working at home, so we had a comparatively leisurely start to the day, after she'd been getting up very early most of the week.

In the afternoon, off to meet Susan Evans in the Marwood cafe. She was trying to persuade me to perform in something called The Minge Fringe, a Vagina Monologues influenced thing. I felt ill equipped and had to admit that my contribution to minge literature was negligible. I'd met Susan at the poetry workshop I go to and she is an effervescent performer, and generally rather lively. She is writing a new piece which starts with the line "My minge has been through the mill.."

Home and sloped up to The Signalman with Lorraine where she drank a soda water and I had a couple of beers and the sun went in.  A jay about its next robbing business in the trees and ivy as we sat chatting. Lorraine is being super disciplined about food and drink in the last couple of weeks. Home to a small but tasty supper. Beth arrived home after midnight.

Finished The Sound and the Fury. A great classic of American literature. While it was clearly groundbreaking at the time, in terms of using stream of consciousness, and some of the writing particularly in the first section narrated by Benjy, the mentally impaired character, was spectacular. I really did not enjoy it, for the simplistic reason that I had little sympathy for the characters other than Dilsey, the African-American housekeeper. Maybe I read it at the wrong time. Started Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges and am already enjoying it far more.

Comments