Tea with Telltale Robin

A successful and interesting day. Pressed on with final tweaks on the book, and also limped up the hill to London Road, and trained to Lewes in the afternoon. Limped up another hill there and met Robin in Cafe Nero to discuss her brainchild, Telltale Press over pots of tea, as well as the publication of a pamphlet of my poems to be called The Nightwork.

Good to talk to get to know Robin a little better. We are about the same age, and she has a refreshing surfeit of can-do attitude that makes me warm to her right away. I took away a collection of her poems, The Great Vowel Shift which I read in the evening. I greatly admire the way her poems imply the subject without explicitly addressing it. I have to be mindful sometimes of my own tendency to clarify things, rather than leave it to the imagination of the reader. Robin does this extremely well.

Still hobbling badly with orc-foot gout which, apart from the pain, and the absurdity of it, precludes going to the gym or walking in a springy balletic fashion. It meant Anton and I postponed an evening out.  This gave me time to read Robin's work, and read more of the The Big Book of Hell, which is grimly amusing. And try to find a way of liking the Harrison Birtwhistle CD I bought on impulse.

Comments