Dancers and drinkers

To Lewes this morning, Lorraine looking in fabric shops and I found myself looking at buttons, and marvelling at their variety. Lewes itself swarming with traditional Morris dancers, both men and women, dancing in the streets, and in carparks. Lots of people with jingling clothes in town. The women seemed very springy doing it, even though many of them were not in the first flush of youth. The men as usual fairly comical, with beer mats tucked into their hats, and the evidence of its enjoyment wobbling over their belts.

Both L and I fell into a heavy snooze in the afternoon. I woke up and sensibly went to The Basketmakers, for round two of my birthday celebrations. Here I met Matt, and we were soon joined by Wayne and Jonathan, and Wayne's cousin and his partner. We then went off to the Brighton Tavern, for more beers. All good fun. My plan A was to leave to join Lorraine and Rosie, who was celebrating her birthday today, however this play went, highly-enjoyably, astray.

Matt talking about wanting to do another show next year in the festival, which is good news.

Below: Lewes street scene with dancers; I loved the expression of the dancers as they danced; Morris men, and clog dancers.





Comments