A me date

Unable to focus much, I looked at my astrodienst horoscope, which told me that this day should be treated as a holiday. I follow the advice of computerised online astrologers very seriously. So I went for a 'me date' to the Cream Tea cafe on New Road, where I spooned lentil and butternut squash soup, drank a pot of tea and looked out at the steadily-falling rain, feeling surprisingly happy with the world as I sat among several more senior ladies, listening to the deafening sounds of Lorraine's favourites The Fleet Foxes, which the two young waitresses were playing.

From there I went to the room of late nineteenth century/early twentieth century British Art in the Brighton gallery. Found myself enjoying one of Walter Sickert's brownish green jobbies for the first time in my life. It was of a dismal shop interior in Dieppe. I love looking at paintings, even mold green ones. And having the time to look hard at one or two was fantastic.

Below Walter Sickert's The Laundry Shop, 1885


Comments