Evening Stars

Got started on doing my accounts which I aim to complete by the end of the week, plus some landlordy stuff. Later I also some work on poetry after a sudden rush of excitement about a theme I can group some around for a pamphlet competition I have my eye on.

After eight hours of work, I simply had a read of Midnight's Children, which is unexpectedly good fun, plagued by Calliope who having been deprived of my company for many weeks, sits on me at every opportunity.

In the evening off to meet Glen, Richard Gibson, and Claudius in the Evening Star, which I'd not done for some time. Claudius had sent me some links to readings of poems by Kamau Brathwaite. This reading by Brathwaite of Kumina from his collection Born to Slow Horses particularly fine. Nice to chat about Caribbean poetry with Claudius, who is full of enthusiasm for it. A good evening and met more interesting friends of Glen's. It is so refreshing to have a beer with people who get passionate about, for example, Rachmaninoff, John Lee Hooker or Derek Walcott.

Home in the rain (for it has been raining heavily this week again). Lorraine, who'd had a difficult day, sleeping like a baby.

Comments