Fossils and fun

Back to the quacks, fasting bloods told me that my cholesterol level has dropped quite a bit, so no statins needed which was good. More mooching in town. Reading George Bataille and feeling a sudden excitement about ideas while enjoying a coffee and a blueberry muffin in despicable, tax-dodging Starbucks.

This bit where Bataille was quoting Sartre, writing about Baudelaire, made all kinds of stuff happen in my head: 'it is the determination of the present by the future, of what exists by what does not yet exist... which philosophers today call transcendence.

Cooked Lorraine's favourite comfort food today: mashed potatoes. They make her very happy.

In the evening off to meet Anton in the Great Eastern, and then we went to the Tavern to meet Wayne and Matt, who were already fairly well refreshed, and lively of conversation. There is a scheme afoot for the four of us to do a few days walking in Derbyshire next year. A walk up North, I said. North Midlands, said Matt sternly. You can take the boy out of Yorkshire...

They made off, and Anton and I popped into The Foundry for a further chat. It has always been dead as a doornail when I've been there before, but it was thronging with studenty types and quite fun.

Below the fossil fish Lorraine gave me, which makes me think of the Gasteropelecidae family such as the common hatchetfish shot I stole from the interweb here:



Comments