Citizen Calliope

Lorraine and I packing like mad all day, after I had got up early and written some copy about strokes. Lorraine also trying to sort out the rent on Beth's college digs, while I fielded a few work things. And at the end of the day we had ferried some of the precious things, like computers, guitar and some paintings over to the Old Church Hall. Most precious of these of course was Calliope. She was busily involved in all the business of the day, until the moment when she found herself being stuffed into the cat carrier, holding onto the side with her claws, and she realised that she was the business of the day. I felt like a criminal abducting the Princess of the Twitten and smuggling her past Brian and Basil her new brother and sister into the Old Church Hall, where she will be just one among three: Citizen Calliope.

Once she had arrived, she was instantly inquisitive and set about exploring. When we left her in the bedroom, she retreated to a hidey-hole under the wardrobe. Quite touching a little later when I returned and she ran out to me purring as if I were a walking piece of home. Amazing to watch her absorb her environment so acutely, warily listening to every sound, sniffing everything, and tentatively exploring her new domain. So far so good.

I was far more worried about Calliope than myself, for I think I am going to be very happy in the Old Church Hall with Lorraine. We had a splendid evening with Beth and Mark. Betty back from St Tropez, bronzed and sophisticated after ten days of nannying to the stars. And we drank a few Lithuanian beers and some Cava, ate a delicious meal Lorraine cooked, monitored Calliope, while Beth and Mark partook in outbreaks of free dancing.

And so to bed.

Comments