Anomaly

Feeling vile. A bad night's sleep full of aches and sweats. As the day progressed, however, I began to feel somewhat more human. Naturally, as I am ill, I have work. Spent the morning editing long documents about strokes and AF. Because I was so brain dead I started it all wrong, and wasted a couple of hours. Meanwhile Max had come to Brighton to be on the beach with her bairns but I couldn't get free to share my bugs with them. Lorraine, however, made of stern stuff. She was off and out to work without complaint, and not back till 11 having attended a leaving party.

In the late afternoon, having finished, I went for a coffee with Cath in the park cafe. I'm enjoying having a park so close, and to see trees and smell the rose garden, and watch the gangs of children happily eking out the last of summer.

Lorraine's TV system allows you to watch all the stuff you've missed when you want to. Saw a documentary by Peter Ackroyd on the Romantics. And later, on 'live' TV, a documentary about Earth's core. Rather fascinating. Learned about the South Atlantic Anomaly, where the magnetosphere is closer to the Earth's surface than other parts due to gravitational weirdness in the core. Ended with the idea that the poles could potentially slip and move about, which was I thought was common knowledge. Beth came home while I was watching this carrying a large clothes basket stuffed with sensible pre-college purchases such as three pairs of florally decorated scissors and purple chopping boards.

Richard and Jane in Guernsey understandably upset about their poor dog Rufus who is seriously ill. Coincidentally received an email from Marcella cancelling a big BBQ because of her cat may have to be put down. I used to write for The Blue Cross (Britain's Pet Charity) and remember reading about their pet bereavement services, for the loss of a loved pet is like losing a family member. God knows what I'll feel like when it is Calliope's time.

In Wrong there is a piece of dialogue about an anomaly, made better by Beth initial inability to pronounce anomaly.

Beth: So how do you explain Timmy then?
Mark: Timmy is an anomaly.
Beth: What's an anomaly?
Mark: I'm not sure really. But I know Timmy’s one.
Beth: I think he's more of a symbol than an anomaly.
Mark: You just won't stop talking about Timmy. If you knew how sick I am of bloody Timmy.

Comments