Cavorting at the Marlborough

After popping by Matt's place this morning to collect a turntable for Sam's birthday, off to the seafront this morning with Mum and Mas, where we had a big breakfast outside at the Meeting Place cafe between Brighton and Hove. Beautiful sea with white horses, and striations of darker blue under the clouds. An effect I was enjoying till Mason pointed at the darker horizon and said this is exactly what a tsunami would look like.

Then to an art shop in Hove that Mum knew of. She floated happily about the aisles and I found myself buying some oil pastels, which I have never used before, imagining fondly that I would have time to use them.

At lunchtime the changing of the guard, with Maureen and Pat arriving from Kent. And Lorraine and I took both sets of parents off to The Battle of Trafalgar and a jolly little drink before it was time for Mum and Mase to return to London.

Shortly after I went to the theatre. Everyone more calm today. Becky had arrived early giving us the chance to get the lighting and sound cues right tonight. Also Beth's pal Laura being incredibly helpful. More pub grub downstairs before the show. I helped where I could and did meeting and greeting duties. Another healthy crowd tonight, with Mark's mobs of family and friends. Wayne particularly enjoying himself. The show was better today. Wrong was fine, with lines heroically remembered. Mark's Pirates Anonymous again went down very well and I like this piece the more I see it. And Betty the Spacegirl much more assured tonight, with Beth clearly enjoying herself as the intergalactic heroine, and the alien boys doing some hilarious work.

Then sadly it was all over. The bar packed afterwards and some serious drinking to be done. Suddenly I needed to get out and walked off to the pier and stood in the dark looking at waves crashing on the shore for ten minutes before rejoining the throng. As I walked back I had the comforting feeling that all this activity: Beth Mark and Callum acting their socks off, Mark writing his first play, friends giving up their Friday and Saturday nights, connections being made, laughs being had all because at one point I had decided to simply go for it. Later in the bar with the bitter enders, chatting lots with Matt about the opera. I think that's one of the reasons Matt and I get on so well: it's all about the next project.

Tarik and David at the theatre very supportive on the nights. The bar staff living up to their legendarily grumpy status. But many of us enjoyed a lively lesbian disco in the other bar, which I cavorted in briefly. Then late home in a taxi. Pat and Maureen to bed sometime after midnight. Lorraine and I decided more drink was a penetratingly good idea. I had an absolutely bloody final sloe gin left over from last Christmas, and went to bed drained and exhausted.

There are many images from the show that need to be gathered. These will come shortly. Meanwhile a snap of Callum and Mark in the green room, and Lorraine, Mum and Mas by the sea. This would have been a good shot if Lorraine had kept her eyes open.

.


Comments