A Guernsey Double launch day

Up feeling wretched about the contents page, but there was little time for brooding. Before long Richard and I were climbing into his van and driving off to BBC Guernsey. Jenny Kendall-Tobias was standing in for Jim Cathcart the usual presenter (whose show R and I had been on a while before) and we had a great interview with her. Really liked her. To my surprise she read three poems out from the book herself, and was decidedly moved by them. Of mine she read Clameur, which is a simple exile's poem from the perspective of a Londoner about Guernsey which almost brought her to tears. She was also tearing up reading Richard's poem about Rufus, who is a poorly dog at the moment.

Off for a rather-pleased-with-ourselves cup of coffee afterwards, especially as Jenny asked us back to the studio for Tuesday afternoon. Spoke to Mum who had been listening on live stream, who told us we did well. Mums are good things to have. Home, to rearrange my return flight to accomodate the 'JKT' show on Tuesday. The dogs were staying overnight in a kennel, so R dropped me at St Sampsons and I had a mooch around the island's working harbour, looking into the water at a big grey mullet and at a largish crab caught and eaten gingerly by a gull, who sensibly removed its legs one by one before spearing into its body. As someone who lives in Brighton unusual to see them actually not eating rubbish.

Amazingly was phoned by Jenny from the BBC who said a later guest had left a silver 8 Double coin minted this year, for us at reception. Putting this in our float box seemed like a very good omen.

The launch proper started at five-ish. Richard in trademark white shirt, me in a black one, Jane looking glamorous. Quite a few people in the Greenhouse, and lots of movers and shakers on the island. We read about five poems each, after an excellent introduction by Jane, and these went down extremely well. R and I both on good form. I read a new one called The Little Chapel, which is about David my Grandfather, which slightly choked me up as I read it, which added to the drama of things. Sold quite a few books afterwards too, and we sat at a table writing dedications for some time. A resounding success. And a indefinable sense of closure and happiness for me.

After the launch was over went up to see nice display of our books in the window of the Guernsey Press Shop where we will do a signing tomorrow.

Off then to Christies for a large meal and another cold beer or two. All rather pleased with ourselves. Received a call there from Keith, offering me work for when I get back, so all in all a tremendously successful day.

Below Richard enters the BBC, me in reception, JKT and Richard chatting, people gathering in the Greenhouse, Richard and I standing by our book display in the book shop.....










Comments