Richard and me with JKT on the BBC

After saying a fond farewell to Jane, Richard and I had a slow morning drinking coffee in the Victor Hugo cafe, and reading papers. We had been asked to bring any stories that were interesting to JKT's show in the afternoon. When we arrived we found that there were just us two on the show for two hours, and it turns out we never mentioned the news stories once. Amazing publicity, and really good fun. Turns out Jenny's grandparents were Mr and Mrs Samson who ran the corner shop on the Saints Road where my Grandmother had a part time job, and I was sent to for bits of last minute shopping, and packets of my Grandmother's Du Maurier fags.

Really liked Jenny and Richard and I found it easy to chat to her. She asked me to let her know when I was back on the island, and was talking to Richard about being one of her main poetry contacts on the island. Listen to JKT, Richard and me here. Really professional person, who was also great fun. Obviously two hours coverage was beyond our wildest dreams too for A Guernsey Double. The only difficult bit was when she asked us to write her a poem about her show, but we acquitted ourselves well enough.

Back to Richard's place to pick up my bag,swig a quick beer, and then zoom off to the airport. It had been another really successful day for us. As usual felt sad to be leaving the island, and saying goodbye. But at least the flight was fine, and I was home quickly.

Stroked Calliope, marvelled at how tidy Beth and Mark had left my house, and then off to the pub to meet Matt and later Anton - to extend my 'holiday' feel. However they had no ears for Richard and my tale of world domination, instead choosing to talk in mind-numbing detail about vinyl. Luckily James Turnbull was there and I had a more civilised chat with him. Anton and I then popped into the Eddy for a last cheeky before home fairly early. Only then did I realise my house was infested with cat fleas. And I soon found one or two on my legs, and then in bed imagined them crawling over me. Turned on the light at 4 o'clock and found two. Ugh. Poor Calliope a flea-bitten wreck.

Comments

Amanda said…
I listened to the radio show and you were great. The poems are very moving and beautifully read.
Peter Kenny said…
Thanks Mandy!