The rain rains in its own time

So up early feeling very cheerful today. Lorraine zoomed off to the station having had a sleepover. Got an email from Catriona in Guernsey with a pdf of my Guernsey bus poem, which I might have printed up full size as a poster. Satisfying to see this thing I wrote when I was about 22, more than half a lifetime ago, being given an airing. I've always liked this little poem for the simplicity of its language, and that it is about returning to a specific place I love. And of course seeing your name in print is something I can never tire of.

Something from the I Ching that has always resonated with me, I don't have the exact words to hand, but it is: "the clouds are all here, but the rain rains in its own time." This can mean the time you create something isn't necessarily the same time as it will be appreciated.

Working on the play competition entry. Given that I've been working on illnesses for the last three months, I decided to write a black comedy about hypochondria, called The Sick Day, as a metaphor for the loss of confidence currently sweeping the world. The good thing is that it has to be finished in the next couple of weeks. I like deadlines, and you never know your luck.

Also was contacted by Jamie from the website with a last minute request for a wee bit of copy, and heard from Matty who I'll see again next week.

Spent the afternoon giving the place a bit of an early spring clean. Actually which was very therapeutic. Then went to Sainsbury's and bought a few bottles of beer, and had one on my gold sofa in my clean house at the end of the week, and still felt very happy. Then Lorraine came around and we scarfed the bean jar I had been cooking all day. Then I inflicted ipod party shuffle (aka completely random) on Lorraine - even a Jazz track that I was told wasn't even music - as we reviewed the week.

Below A return, click to enlarge.

Comments

Hunter said…
Liking the poem chap! The opening in particular.