Chap Hop, Poets, and MCs

A brisk walk back from Lorraine's first thing. And in between dealing with my exceptionally fighty kitten, I finished the play. You have to fill in forms afterwards too, to send off with your submission. Form filling, as any fule no is not my strong point. But have done my best, and managed to complete it by 6:00pm.

In the evening off to see Poets vs MCs, a yearly "battle" at the Komedia. Was amazed to see a big queue stretching out into the street for the event.Great to see, and inside there was a wonderful buzzy atmosphere.

I loved the warm-up act. Someone called Mr B playing Chap Hop in which his Edwardian posh voice, accompanying himself with banjo and hip hop tapes. Particularly enjoyed Timmy a song about being in prep school with Tim Westwood (a white Vicar's son turned leading hip hop DJ, who hosts the laughable UK version of the Pimp my Ride show). According to his My Space page he is "on a one-man mission to introduce Hip-Hop to the Queen's English, Mr. B is delighted to present Chap-Hop. Having spent the best part of a decade bringing some manners back to popular culture, this dopest of fellows will entertain and amuse you with his ingenious stylings."

Lively stuff from both MCs and Poets - with the crowd roaring its support. Didn't particularly come away with any poetic revelations, but a good night out by any standards. I was more interested by the MCs - as this was newer to me. Some of them very young, ballsy and entertaining. I couldn't help but be amused by their special Hip Hop voices adopted when they were "spitting" (rapping), but fair play to them.

Below: Chap Hop - Mr. B the Gentleman Rhymer's Straight out of Surrey.

Comments