Off the streets

Up early as I am close to finishing The Sick Day. It has turned out quite neatly. Broadly it's about the death of a hypochondriac interspersed with spoof of real adverts for imaginary medical conditions such as slower digestive transit from the activa ads. And at the end it is revealed that the whole play has been an advert for death, which is being re-branded to be more positive and uplifting, with a new name: Better Forever! But I'm hoping the play works on a few levels. Oh well. It's kept me off the streets.

In the afternoon: a bold move. I sold some of my books to a second hand store. I have finite space and many hundreds of books: loads of them I've not read for twenty years. I took some big volumes of poetry by poets I don't like. Felt a bit weird, as selling your books is a short step away from book burning and joining the Nazi party. The ones I couldn't sell I gave to Oxfam. But I'm loving the extra room, and that my poetry collection is not now two deep on some shelves. It also allows you to find the stuff you do like all over again. After I went for a walk passing a closed down Woolworths, which looked melancholy so I took some shots of it.

Walked off to see Lorraine in the evening, at her house. We ate some Christmas pudding and custard, which was top as I only had one helping of it over the festive period. Jolly good it was too. Took with me my new micro laptop (or crotchtop as Beth later called it) computer which I showed off somewhat. It is wee but extremely portable. Then we watched the emotional elephant documentary series with Lorraine and Beth, as the wind began to moan in the fireplace. It's good to be indoors sometimes, slugging on a sofa.

Below the last of Woolworths on the unlovely London Road.





Comments

mariSh said…
Oh! How I understand your pain of parting with books, even these unwanted... You are not alone!
I go even further - I am hooked on a smell of new books. I sniff new print - now you heard everything!
Hi Peter,

Just took a quick scan over your blog. For death re-branded, how about:

* Failure to Maximise Wellness Potential
* Negative Lifeness Syndrome
* Vitality Deficit Disorder
* Premature Lifetime Conclusion


Just having fun. Hope all is well.

Mark
Peter Kenny said…
Sniffing books eh? Yes I've done that too but never felt comfortable admitting it ;-)

I'm liking negative lifeness syndrome a lot...