Sorry son, change of plan

Up fairly early, and working on The Sick Day, I only have this week and next week to complete the first draft, so I'm just going hell for leather for it.

For various reasons it made me read the bit in Genesis about Abraham being prepared to sacrifice Isaac as a test of his obedience to God. This strange story is the starting point for Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, which I once sped read, and have almost no recollection of. Kierkegaard often has good titles. I am going to read it again this week, simply because I can. I always felt sorry for Isaac in the Bible, being told that God would provide an animal for the sacrifice, and then at the last moment his dad Abraham saying, "Er. Sorry son, change of plan". And then "Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son". Luckily an angel appears, but it must have been a nasty moment for the lad.

When not thinking about hypochondria and black comedy and the Book of Genesis I went to the chiropractors, and was cracked in a way that made me suddenly stand upright like a proper homo sapiens. A wee bit of businessy stuff today, including emailing my glamorous accountant, and talking to The Gnome about pdfs. Also heard from Anton who, unsurprisingly, wanted to harp on about football. And Lorraine in the evening sounding tired.

Otherwise demonstrated complete incompetence on the DIY front. Assembled my impulse bought shelves easily enough, but they were too large for the space I'd earmarked them for. I decided to put them elsewhere but the walls of my house are 150 years old, and after drilling through some powdery plaster I hit flint. I now have two or three nasty holes in my wall, and no shelves up. Bah. And I chumpishly put in a wood drill the first time, which snapped. Sigh.

Comments