Slumdog Millionaire

After a nice kipper breakfast, Lorraine and I drove off to Maidenhead Aquatics to buy some aquarium gravel. Lots of intriguing new stock in, and I noticed a nice tankful of traditional red wagtail platys with nice erect fins, we scored a pair for Beth not mentioning that we had been gulping distant cousins for breakfast.

Also managed to atone for my bad Godfathering, with some Barbie based products. Not been in Toys R Us since I was in the US, and it was much easier than pre-Christmas. I bought Klaudia a Barbie winged horse, and stable accessory set, having consulted Anna by phone. And Lorraine bought her some Barbie dressing up shoes. Nosebleed inducing cheery music. Lorraine and I were also looking for Sylvanian Families (some species of mouse-based toy) but these must have been very popular and were completely sold out. Bumped into one of Lorraine's neighbours called Steve who was hunting a sled with his daughter, to enjoy the snow we're supposedly about to have.

Lorraine gave me some speakers for my new computer, and they rock. My new computer rocks. Lorraine rocks. All is well. My new office is complete.

Attempted to repair the light outside my house. I've never understood how electrical things can simply stop. I mean what is there to go wrong? I changed the bulb, what more can it possibly want? Swearing vigorously, which sometimes works, did no good either.

In the evening we saw the refreshingly good Slumdog Millionaire. It's a movie with everything in it: gangsterish violence, Dickensian social realism, escapism, a strong plot device and deft touches of comedy and tragedy. All filmed in a fascinatingly varied Mumbai. Everything in it works brilliantly. The cinema was packed too, which was good to see.

Back out into the cold past people queueing for the local club in miniskirts and shirts sleeves. I was wearing two fleeces and and my Berghaus, and Lorraine was similarly wrapped up and sporting her red hat. I was quite pleased not to be 20 anymore.

Comments