Carl arrives

A big day today. Carl coming down from Runcorn to stay. I'd not seen him for about six years, which is an inexcusably long time. Spent the day doing a bit of business admin, and making some last changes to my play and to the submission form. Will find out next week what they think. In my mind it is no more than a lottery ticket, but you've got to be in it to win it as they say. But I'm not building my hopes up too high.

Rushing about this morning getting everything done. Walked down the long bit of my Twitten to get a pastie for lunch, and was inexplicably tripped. Between my feet was Calliope who'd followed me for 100 yards, and was looking at me purring. A man came out of his house, and I looked like the worst kind of monster, berating and shooing home a little cat.

Met Carl at the station, and it was great to see him. I'd not seen Carl, whose been one of my best friends since I was 15, for six years but it was as if we'd only seen each other last week. He was looking surprisingly well, which he attributed to having dyed his hair. Home for a cup of tea, before a great night out. I took Carl to wealth of Brighton boozers including the Eddy and the Basketmakers, and The Cricketers. We talked all night, but still only grazing the surface of all the news. Two main bits from Carl - about his new and thriving business, and that he had a heart attack about three years ago. He was with a client and drove them home while beginning the MI, before catching a cab to the hospital. He was back working on his business two weeks later. Apparently it was only a mild one but I still felt like boxing his ears at the thought of him dropping off his client.

He set up his business not long after being made redundant a few years ago. It provides in-home care to people with disabilities and the elderly. They have won a local authority contract which pretty much guarantees the firm's continuation for the next few years. He's rightfully very proud of his achievement, and the firm employs about 30 people.

We popped into my favourite curry house, for this was not a night to break with tradition. Got my usual warm welcome from the owner which impressed Carl. Then we got a taxi back to the Eddy for a final glass of beer, and lurked at home chatting till about one before heading for bed.

Comments