Hospital time

Deep sleep, only woken by the persistent kitten at 8:30. Lorraine and I got up eventually, after the kitten had been banished, to consume fried tomatoes on toast, and listen to the iPod randomiser while she did strange sewing of wollen squares for a baby blanket.

Then I went off to the hopital again on the bus, in the teeming rain. Carl wasn't in his old bed, so I embarked on a Kafkaesque journey through various corridors, and going up to the wrong floors and so on. Eventually I arrived at what I was convinced was Carl's new ward, where they claimed to have no record of him. He has previous on discharging himself, so it did cross my mind that he had absconded. Eventually someone found him for me. In a small room with no window or picture.

Brighton has a thousand painters in it, so amazing to see so many dull walls without ornamentation in the hospital. Carl bored, but unable to concentrate enough to read. Hospital time passes so slowly - what seems like hours turns out only to be ten minutes. He is being given antibiotics at the moment, to bring down the infection in the gall bladder, and various pain killers. However we had a long chat for several hours, which was good, regardless of the circumstances. Eventually Carl's eyes kept closing when I spoke (even though I was saying deeply fascinating things) so I pushed off.

Excellent male nurse called Peter there who seemed to have the special power of not getting Carl's goat.

Walked home for half an hour in the drizzle. But it was quite nice to blow the hospital cobwebs off. Not exactly the weekend I'd expected. But it was good to see Carl today, despite everything, and have a chat with Jayne his wife this evening.

Comments