Under the new moon

Loads done on my skeleton story, a long awaited brace of cheques for some freelance work, and a good swim. All in all the formula for a splendid day. In the evening I was invited round to Lorraine's house for a splendid curry too.

Then Lorraine and I went off to walk by the sea at around sunset. The tide was low again, revealing that yard or so of pure sand at the edge of the pebbles which we walked in for half an hour. And the sea was surpisingly warm.

I saw the new moon too over the sea. Not seeing the new moon through glass prevents bad luck. My grandmother used to make a ritual of this. I remember her on several occasions in the back garden in Guernsey dancing in circles, while shaking handfuls of silver coins, and bowing to the new moon. I don't remember how many bows this involved: perhaps seven or nine. This unusual behavior was designed to guarantee wealth and health for the next month.

Below the sunset, and the moon over the sea.


Comments