Pollyanna day

My horoscope this morning which talked about a Pollyanna tendency. I had to look this up, as I've not read the Pollyanna by Eleanor H Porter. Turns out Pollyanna was an orphan and an incurable optimist who played "the glad game" which enabled her to see her the best in all situations. I think Pollyanna had the right idea.

As today was given over to hypochondria, gentle pleasures were forefronted so as not to die suddenly. I wandering about in the library with Lorraine, and popped into the Eagle for lunch. I lurked on my gold sofa watching TV and reading the newspaper, and watched Throw Momma from the Train which happened to be on and is a very funny film. Lorraine bravely spent lots of time with me, exhibiting her usual kindness and generally being reassuring.

Wondering what I can do differently to keep my blood pressure down: I love my work, I'm not under excessive financial pressure, I have loads of friends and am very close to my family, I do a a fair amount of exercise, I don't smoke, I've even reordered my life to minimise unnecessary stress.

The only things I can think of is to lose weight, drink slightly less, and meditate more. All the other bits are beyond my control and are presumably down to a genetic predisposition, possibly inherited from my biological father of whom I know next to nothing.

After Lorraine went home I simply had an early night. And for the first time in my life I am looking forward to going to the doctor on Monday. From a Pollyannaish perspective all this is making me realise that if I can get my health on an even keel again, everything else is pretty fine right now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pete,

I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better and very happy that Lorraine is there with her reasoned medical insight.

I had a boss once whose wife had high pressure. She went on the pills right away but she was able to control the hypertension through diet and weight loss. Eventually she was able to ditch the pills. High blood pressure seems to be one of those eminently treatable conditions. The only risk seems to be not taking the pills when you need them.

Sincerely,
Romy "Pollyanna" Bowers
Amanda said…
Hi Pete
I expect to see more blog references to glasses of merlot and yummy salads, less of curry & beer.
Then again, everything's ok in moderation as my old mum used to say.
Peter Kenny said…
Thank you Romy, thank you Amanda. Yes lettuce leaves are the new pies from now on.