Through the roof

Started the day by zooming down to the quack's office to have a couple of blood tests. Apprehensively I was expecting to have my blood pressure taken but they didn't. I was apprehensive because I have had a few borderline readings on blood pressure, and sometimes these have been high. I have attributed these mainly to white coat syndrome.

However this afternoon I broke out my own blood pressure monitor which I bought a year ago, and haven't used. On using it, I found to my alarm that my blood pressure was through the roof.

Lorraine came around and did it on herself and then on me again to confirm that this was accurate. The good news is that Lorraine is a very reassuring person to have around at times like this. I ended up calling the doctor for advice, who said that I should discuss getting a prescription for blood pressure pills on Monday.

Obviously as a card carrying hypochondriac this was all a bit disturbing. However have tried to frame it positively, and focus on being something that I can take action on now to prevent hypertension from silently undermining my health.

Before all this vortex of hypochondria, I actually had another great day's work. Have now reached 60k words on the Skelton Yawngrave story and am feeling delighted with it.

Watched some of the opening ceremony of the Chinese Olympics, which was wonderfully art directed and quite fascinating in it being a pivotal moment in terms of China's future world dominance. Makes you wonder what changes will happen this century as influence shifts decisively away from the US.

In the evening, I decided to take my life in my own hands and go with Lorraine for the curry and beer. Luckily I survived it.

Comments