Memories and theories

Nightmares last night after going to bed early but a beautiful morning.

Today reminds me of MJ. Apart from the horror of the events on this day in 2001, which I watched live on TV at my agency with an American friend Craig, it reminds me of how we had swapped emails in the morning before the event - and in the days afterwards. She was terrified, and my heart went out to her. Visiting Ground Zero in 2005 was a very sobering experience. All those poor people dead, including one of MJ's best friends. And a few hours later was the first time I met MJ in person.

Listening now to Saturday by Ian McEwen. The book, which is excellent, is set on the day of 15th February 2003. A day I also remember well as I joined the other two million people marching through London against the warmongering of the west - as a direct consequence of 9/11 of course. Actually marching was a bit of a misnomer, the march was creeping at a snail's pace, and bloody freezing it was too. After a few hours I am afraid I gave up, left the march and zoomed into a cafe for a pee and a hot coffee. What a shambles it all is now.

On this 9/11 everyone talking about the case of the McCanns whose daughter Madeleine is missing. Theories abounding at work, and I've overheard people talking about it all over the place... Including two guys sitting next to me on my homeward train. It is developing into a lurid national obsession. The fact that the couple showed such ability in using the media to create an international campaign to find their missing child seems to be strangely backfiring. In the popular imagination it's as if their ability and organisation signals something more sinister.

That the McCanns were somehow guilty seemed self-evident to the two men on the train for example. They had a couple of mad theories not worth repeating, but I'm seeing parallels with Alias Grace which I just read. This was of course about an famous unresolved case. Also for some reason I keep thinking about Crime and Punishment. How Raskolnikov was perpetually almost giving himself away and overcompensating. All in all a horrible business whichever way you look at it. For the McCanns it must be a living hell.

On a pleasanter note, spoke to Mum this morning shortly before she and Mase left for Budapest. Anton called early to plan another walk on Sunday. Otherwise an unproductive, but mainly painless day at work. I went for a swim again. I am trying to combat the sudden porky surge that has happened over the last few weeks.

Comments