Atonement and the hybrid slinkies

A quick haircut, which was fine, however the barber flashed the mirror to show me the back of my head, which highlighted the area of concern again.

Then spent a really nice and relaxed day with Lorraine, who is most excellent and relaxing company. Had brunch at Billy's which serve big hash breakfasts - where normal English breakfast ingredients were smashed up onto one plate and topped with a fried egg covered in cheese. This was splendid at the time, but the afterwards it felt like I'd eaten a barium meal. Then down the road to buy some hybrid slinkies, which are guitar strings. I think The Hybrid Slinkies has to be the best possible name for a group.

Then to the Festival of Fiery Foods at a school field in Ovingdean. Too full to eat anything we contented ourselves with a couple of non-fiery smoothies, and three half thimbles of wine designed to be drunk with curry. The owner of the company talked us through all three, sadly they were execrable.

Then a walk down by the sea. The day was beautiful with the sky a deep and cloudless blue, and the chalk cliffs white and gleaming. The tide up and people fishing here and there, which I simply enjoyed watching for its own sake. As we walked along we passed a man dancing with his iPod in a flamboyant ballroom style. This causing much chuckling from some of the people thereabouts.
Then we sat on the sea wall and I felt more relaxed than I've felt for ages.

In the evening went off to see Atonement. I really liked the book and the film was okay, but certain things annoyed me about it. Anachronisms being one. In 1935 for example one character looks through a window and sees a flying fortress in England. Hmm. Try late 1942. But there was an artificiality about it and a crapness about the Dunkirk scenes, which undermined the whole thing for me.
Below spotted at the fiery food fair.




Comments