Greengage jam and the darkness at the centre of everything

Spending money today. Booked plane tickets to Guernsey, booked into La Barbarie - a process that for some reason required four phone calls - and went into town to buy the splendid stripey armchair I'd seen yesterday. Now, when I have guests, everyone doesn't have to sit in a row like monkeys avoiding evil.

Spoke to Mum who is off to Budapest to get her broken tooth sorted out. Mase is also going to have his gnashers sorted too while they're there - those Budapest dentists are certainly Hungary for business and are cheap and excellent by all accounts.

Also wandered through the food festival again but confined myself to buying two jars of jam: one of greengage and the other of plum.

Watched some interviews with David Lynch in the afternoon. I find the way he thinks really inspiring. Despite the fact that he constantly wriggles the fingers of his right hand in the air when talking, which is very distracting. Later, I watched the first half of Inland Empire (eating greengage jam on toast) that I now have on DVD. Curiously I found the film even more disturbing at home than it had done in the cinema. Laura Dern plunging into thick nightmarish darknesses and stepping into rooms where even more dislocating and frightening things are happening.

I was quite relieved, when Toby called from Canada, to stop watching it. Good to talk to Toby lad - then an early and blameless sleep.

Comments