Up on the roof

Slept with the Juiliette windows open in our room, till we closed it first thing, but still heard an amazing dawn chorus at around four. Beginning to feel happier and more relaxed than I have for some time. Today I worked well on the novel. It has taken me some time to tune back into it, after a break, but I am there now. At lunchtime I took a walk in the sunshine for an hour. Listening to my new audiobook The Boy Behind the Curtain by Australian writer Tim Winton. A series of autobiographical episodes, read in a murmur by the author. I like his style a lot.

I was in a good mood all day, except when I updated myself on the appalling fire at Grenfell Tower, near Latimer Road in West London. I've been past it on the tube a hundred times when I lived in Chiswick. Feeling incensed by how the Prime Minister Theresa May failed to talk to any of the local people affected by the tragedy on her visit. A failure as a leader and as a human. In stark contrast to Corbyn, who listened to people, hugged them and promised to do all he could to help. It turns out that the richest borough in the country cut corners and chose not to to spend money on safeguarding the flat, despite the continued protestations of its inhabitants about safety risks. It is a national disgrace. 

A peaceful evening. I cooked, and tended to a tired wife. A gorgeous grey and pink sky at sundown, and I went out to take a photograph of it from the back garden, but was deflected by a hideous miaowing. I couldn't see anything till I looked up and saw high overhead Brian stuck on the roof. He had made his way through the Juliette windows of our bedroom, that Lorraine had opened to let the night air in. The bedroom door must have blown open allowing for Brian to make one his periodic suicidal periodic high-wire escapades.

Had to lean precariously out of the spare room window after he jumped onto the widow cill outside to scoop him up. Lorraine and I went to bed early, but I couldn't sleep for thinking that I might have dropped him, and its an awfully long way down.

Comments