A full day, and the end of work in sight

Up early and working on a film script for the charity, then off to London to meet the Matt and the folks from the agency in the Duke of Sussex in Chiswick. Sat along from the actor who played Mr Norrell in the recent BBC Series Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I also had to fend off an offer for work over Christmas as I went. The pub's big back room which now is used as a restaurant area, and it was full of tables with a big office party on it. Ours was smaller. A good meal (duck for me) and cheery company.  I couldn't help thinking of Bob, also known as Mad Dog who gained this nickname in this pub in the days of yore, when it was a pool room, and he was charging about it with a pool cue champed in his teeth.

A pleasant meal, then off to another quieter pub to have a quick drink with Matt, with Jo and Dave before I answered the call of the seagull and headed south. Also phoned up the doctor's surgery. The tests were back and all were clear, as I'd come to expect.

To Brighton station where I met Lorraine and we travelled to Shoreham, where there was a surprise party for Richard Gibson's fiftieth in an amazing houseboat in the estuary. Once aboard, there was some lovely music played not least by Maria Grazia, and I was asked to read a poem. Luckily I had written a sonnet about Richard so that was fine. Then The Shakies, who had been rehearsing secretly without Richard did a performance of other people's songs from Richard's past. A cheery evening seeing them play, and also Steve joined them on sax for a bit too. Then Lorraine and I went back across the bridge.

Home on the train, all very busy, and a taxi back from Brighton where Sam and Jade had recently arrived. Great to see them, and Lorraine extremely happy to have her babies in the same room. A good deal of chatting till we all went to bed. I rather needed mine.

Below the scene on the houseboat, with Richard on the far right sitting down.


Comments