45 rpm

A slowish start to Saturday, Lorraine and I lurking in bed till Lorraine had to zoom off in in haste or face the wrath of her hairdresser. I spent a few hours working more on A Glass of Nothing. Beth up to London for her cousin Maria's 21st birthday celebrations, including a trip to see Mama Mia.

Lorraine and I then in the afternoon went off in the very strong winds off to Trading Boundaries where we got a comfortable reading chair for my study. Absolutely delighted with this, is perfect for my room, very comfortable but not slouchy. Perfect for reading in, in fact. Amazing how excited I got over a chair. Lorraine and I then drove back with it in the car, and stopped off for an early dinner in a pub called The Rainbow Inn outside Lewes, which we happened to drive past.

A pint of perfectly kept Harveys, and I had pork vindaloo, one of the specials of the day, Lorraine had a traditional pub favourite of gammon, egg and chips. My curry was exceedingly mild mannered but fine, and the staff refreshingly friendly.

After manhandling my chair into my room, and gradually getting ourselves shipshape off in a taxi in the rain to The Blue Man, where Reuben was having his 45th birthday party. Didn't know to many folks there, but a cheery party with some dancing (Lorraine and I joined in too, though I was not at my most Dionysian) and great tunes courtesy of Reub's brother Japhy, with Claire and Reuben also taking turns playing records, mostly soulful dancefloor fillers from the seventies and eighties.

Interesting people there, and I also met Marcus, an old pal of Reuben's I'd not seen for years. Marcus and Lorraine had lots to say to each other about teaching. Best of all was seeing Reuben again on fine form and sporting a fine nautical beard.

Lorraine and I hopped into a cab at the station and were home. A really good night out, and home some time after midnight. Beth, who is off to Barcelona tomorrow early in the morning, crept down to say goodbye.

Below the record Turners. Japhy, Reuben and Claire, who was brilliant on the decks until she started changing the speed of the records.


Comments