Funeral in Basingstoke

Up early and scrabbling for things to wear to Lorraine's aunty Rina's funeral in Basingstoke. I opted for a sober suit and a black tie and shoes. Lorraine drove us and we made good time and arrived at a cricket club house, just around the corner from All Saints Church where the memorial service was being held.

Maureen and Pat there, and I met Doris, Rose and Pauline, Wally and Edwin who were some of  Maureen's brothers and sisters. There were lots of Lorraine's cousins she hadn't seen for decades. I milled about as best I could chatting to people.

The ceremony itself was sensitively done and the vicar Revd Rosalind Rutherford and the woman assistant  priest had known Rina well, so the ceremony was quite personal. I hadn't met Rina, but it was sad to see Maureen and her sisters and brothers upset, placing roses on their sister's coffin. Doris had recently lost her husband, so going to another funeral was traumatic for all kinds of reasons. The vicar held her hand as she came in, and told her it was okay to cry in the church, which was an excellent intervention.

After the ceremony, and the hearse left we made our way past the cricket nets with young cricketers thwacking the hard leather balls. Despite the sad circumstances, the family took solace in each other. For me it was a chance to meet lots of people I'd only heard about over the last few years. Auntie Rose, like all the other sisters, larger than life and full of character, took a shine to me, hello sexy, she said, and told me she'd take me home with her. I enjoyed talking to uncle Wally lots. Wally had an uncle called Uncle Bubbles, who Maureen had told me about before. I wish I had an Uncle Bubbles.

A nice chat with Pat. He said he'd read a Terry Pratchett novel, which he bought from his regular second-hand bookstall and had enjoyed the character of Death in it. He was looking forward to playing darts tonight and said recently he had taken the money home with him five weeks in a row. Pat and Maureen, and Doris driven home by one of the numerous cousins which was easier than the train ride. Lorraine said in the car going home that her dad was quite competitive on the quiet. We came home a cross country route, and it was a beautiful afternoon.

We drove home and had a small glass of wine in the garden, then Beth and Lorraine picked up a takeaway Shahi curry which we enjoyed at home. Lorraine and I ended up watching Rambo II late at night, which was hilariously terrible but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comments