Between Cheese and a Mitre

Working on re-laying out the CD cover today, and also a long phone chat with Sophie. Then off to London this afternoon to go to my dentist in Chiswick. More The Black Dahlia on the train. Was 45 mins early so got off at Turnham Green station and mooched past my old flat in Thornton Avenue, where I lived for a year before moving down to Brighton. That was a particularly depressing year, and I found I had blanked the street name and house number. Then through Chiswick down towards Strand on the Green, where Matty boy, First Matie and Graeme now live, past pubs where I used to read poetry, or places where friends had lived. I moved to Chiswick in 1986 which is a long time ago. Melancholy fading light, and by the time I had arrived at the dentist I felt as if life is fleeting and everything I've done was a no more than a hill of beans.

A 40 minute wait in the dentist's reception not helping much. I was delayed by a massive job on an older man, requiring two dentists and a taxi home. My own teeth were examined in record time by Lucinda my dentist and hastily pronounced okay.

Suddenly much more cheery and off to tube to Temple station, from where I sauntered past the Royal Courts of Justice and down to Fleet street to meet Bob in our historic drinking den Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. I'd not seen Bob for ages. We had a couple of drinks and wandered across to another pub before heading off to the historic Ye Olde Mitre and a curry house. Dicussing Mick Ginty in Ye Olde Mitre, and as we left my Blackberry blinked, and it was my first email of the year from Mick Ginty saying we should meet up soon in Ye Olde Mitre. Strange coincidence. Bob on good form, and bearing a bottle of truffle Vodka which he said he bought for me as a Christmas present last year, but forgot to give me. Saw pictures of Milly his daughter who is seven, and heard in unappetising detail about the operation on his knee and sourcing gristly bits from his hamstring to fix his knee with.

Then the journey home, dozing happily on the train.

Below The Royal Courts of Justice looking baleful.

Comments