Guy Fawkes Night

Up just after 5am delighted the cats with an early breakfast. Lorraine had to go to a conference about leadership today, so I contented myself with trying to catch up with everything I've let slip over the last week or so, with only a small degree of success. Beth up and out without eating off to see Mark and other pals.

Tired and an upset stomach, but I went to the gym thinking this would make me feel better. Working up in London has made me fatter within a week and a half.

Went to Anna and Anton's. Watched Anna on TV in a programme about mackerel, filmed catching them and then making them into sushi, and giving a rather assured interview about her opinions about mackerel.

Then the family and I drove off in Anton's swanky new BMW to Martin and Sam's place in Hove. Lorraine arrived shortly afterwards. Martin and Sam have a nice house, and there was lots of nice food and hot punch available. Klaudia was the only girl and there were six or eight boys running about excitedly with toy guns and revelling in the firework display Martin had put on. Oskar's face a picture of delight and anticipation when the fireworks were happening. I failed to photograph his expression as it was too dark. Klaudia, who had never been keen on explosions, cramming pieces of cucumber in her mouth, and very much liking the sparklers afterwards.

A pleasant couple of hours chatting, and a spot of playing with my Godchildren, plus tucking into sausages dips and me into the mulled wine. Loved standing outside with Lorraine the sky full of the reek of gunpowder and explosions. Children zooming about in the dark, and the sky over the cricket ground like sheet lightning of all colours.

Home in Lorraine's car and a much needed quiet night. I went to bed at 9:30 shattered and happy that tomorrow held no fear.

Below Klaudia with a sparkler in the dark. She is getting tall now, and was measuring herself against me and she comes up above my elbow now.

Comments