Last night of the This Concert run

Up early, having been gleefully bounced by Calliope. Cups of Joyful Cliff Path coffee with Mum and Mas this morning. Then they went for a walk around town and I seemed to be on the phone half the morning. Had lunch at the Sussex Yeoman with Mum, Mas, Pat, Maureen and Beth and Mark. I had one of their tasty but enormous hamburgers that sits in the stomach like a stone. Everyone got on well, and it was generally fun.

After Mum and Mas left, I grew increasingly nervous about this evening. There were so many friends in the audience that I hid myself away emerging only to perform. It had the potential to be like a scene from a nightmare, where friends from all stages of my life were to witness a humiliation.

Luckily, however, it was a storming night despite one of the sopranos, having to be replaced at the last moment by Matt's composer friend Nikki. We biffed into This concert with some style. The only blot on my landscape was that my purple cummerbund slid down about my ankles. Only thinking about writing about it in this blog prevented me falling apart with laughter. At the end of the piece I have to stagger into the audience, snatch a rose from the vase and dash it to the floor and bellow "remember me" into the dark before striding away. I managed to step rather elegantly out of it the purple silk noose around my ankles while the music was still playing.

There were about 70 people there tonight, and we got a standing ovation from them at the end. Much, much happier with how it went tonight. Afterwards able to chat to people, and we went to the Brighton Tavern for an aftershow party. Anton, Anna, Brian and First Matie were there. Lots of my new Brighton friends, plus Pat and his wife, Sophie and Andros, Fraser and Sarah, Matty boy and Craig, Mindy and her sister Lucy and her boyfriend, Shaila, Lakshmi and Betsy all travelled from London or further to see the gig.

A very lively night in the Tavern followed, with me having my 15 minutes of fame. I'd chosen to walk to the pub on my own from the church just to get my head together, and entered to some applause. A great night, and chatted briefly to lots of folks. Shaila dancing on the tables somewhat. Back home rather in my cups, with Lorraine, Shaila and Lakshmi, eating disgraceful chips and worse, and then to bed by 3.00am.

Below caught my reflection pacing about nervously in a rehearsal room.

Comments