Cover story

A beautiful day. However I had a frustrating few hours getting nowhere on the cover for A Guernsey Double. Late in the afternoon I called Betsy, who has to my relief agreed to contribute some starry and stripy design elegance, and a fresh set of eyes. Talking to Catriona in Guernsey this morning, who has asked me to do some copy for the literary festival next year.

Otherwise, I sloped off to the gym where I had slightly more energetic workout than yesterday. And repaired one of the poems which had fallen apart after I'd been tinkering with it a couple of days ago. If the poems are like a set of teeth, one rotten one will ruin the whole smile, but I'm hoping I've fixed it.

Calliope bit me hard this morning as I was taking too long to get ready. She jumped repeatedly onto forbidden kitchen surfaces, shredded a toilet roll, and crept into the drier and made a nest there for an hour, coating all my clean clothes in hair. This punctuated with her going outside and rolling about fetchingly in the Twitten for people to coo at as they pass.

At 5.00pm repaired to the Battle of Trafalgar's garden to sun myself, and sipping a cold beer, and finally having a moment to look at Mario's book i tulips -- it seems excellent and just as I was settling in some unbelievably noisy people nearby made it impossible to hear myself think. A little later, Lorraine joined me for another cold beer in the hot sun, then we sloped back to her place and, lassoing Beth and Mark, went for a curry, after what was their last day at school, as they only have to go in now to sit their A level exams.

Lorraine and I both dead tired. To bed at 10.

Comments