Spellbound

Feeling shabby this morning due to ouzo excesses. Compounded by Mason and Mum getting up at seven thinking that Lorraine had told them she wanted to get up at this time. There must be something in the stars.

A breakfast of crumpets and much gulping of coffee followed by a lurch about in the garden. Another beautiful day. Mum gave me a painting of Diana Yellyface, the death's head moth Skelton Yawngrave character. This will prove useful when I go to another school next month. A long hot drive home not listening to Chris Squire. Half of southern England decided it wanted to visit Brighton today, so the roads were very busy on the way home. Lorraine's arm caught the sun through the car window.

A quiet and reflective afternoon. Calliope pleased to see me, running half the length of the twitten miaowing at me happily. I paused to stroke it and say my usual cat endearments, at which I heard a snickering from behind my neighbour's fence.

A really watchable BBC documentary today on Salvador Dali, in which I learned lots. Chiefly that the rocky coastline near where he lived is full of such crazy shapes (e.g. a crocodile and a rhinoceros, and upside down human faces) that he was constantly drawn to them for inspiration, and based the compositions of his paintings directly on them.

Used to have a postcard of The Metamorphosis of Narcissus on my wall as a kid and was rather fascinating. There is something so clear about his work. They had a clip of Hitchcock, who'd chosen Dali to direct the dream sequence of a film called Spellbound which I have never seen, saying that dreams were clear, and the then Hollywood convention of showing them as being blurry was all wrong.

Below an image from the dream sequence of Spellbound.

Comments

Amanda said…
I had The Metamorphosis of Narcissus poster on my wall as a teenager too
Peter Kenny said…
I had mine next to my Roger Dean posters ;-)
Amanda said…
Mine was next to a Bob Dylan film poster, on a wall that I struggled with my parents to be allowed to paint dark purple
Peter Kenny said…
Ha! Dark purple walls, love it. I think my brother's bedroom was more seventies than mine. He had lava lamps and a entire wall covered with a stick on sunset.