Obama cut

Off with Toby and Romy to meet Gillian and Anna who was a local guide. We went out towards where Obama's old area was, and passed his house guarded by police cars. It is next door to a Synagogue.

We also saw Hyde Park, including a lovely Japanese garden. Past universities and so on. Paused at Robie House by Frank Lloyd Wright. And we took the tour, while Anna took a break. It does seem to have a discernible Japanese influence. Fascinating place, although I can't say I particularly warmed to it, for reasons that I find hard to pinpoint. I would love to see the exquisite Falling Water one day however.

After much more walking we stopped off at Obama's barbers. We popped our heads in where various people were getting their hair cut as you would expect. You could get an Obama cut for, I think, $23. Behind perspex was the actual chair, and I dutifully snapped this for lovers of kitch everywhere.

Back to the hotel to collect Lorraine who had been shopping and chilling in the park, to go for another meal. I had a large burger and fries and cold beer. Good think I don't live here for good.

All off this evening to Simone, Nori and Maria's house. Caught the L train there. Felt quite big and clever doing this. Got off in a lively area and walked around the corner where there was a big concert hall to their apartment.

As well as the residents, Gillian's sister Helen was also there, who I had met once before several years ago. Also a friend of Maria's called Paul. Entertainment provided by a chihuahua dog, which was so catlike I found myself warming to it. Nori and Simone were cooking steaks on the balcony barbecue, and we sat outside. Felt like I had beamed down into a film set, looking down at the sidestreet, and hearing the band Nine Inch Nails rumbling in the concert theatre, the Aragon Ballroom, which was literally next door.

Very warm hospitality and a delicious spread of food, with steaks and prawns and rice and dhal, enough to feed a cast of thousands. Maria telling us about going to China next week to work on a project for an English company to do with renewable energy. She has an 18 month contract, and she has no family connections. I suggested she start a blog.

After a lovely evening we decided to get a cab home. Unfortunately the theatre letting out its contingent of Nine Inch Nail fans, the L was blocked, all taxis taken. Meanwhile I managed to duck inside the bar, encouraged by Gillian, where Al Capone was said to have drunk. The doorman was charging for entry but in the confusion I slipped in and out unnoticed. An unremarkable place.

Paul drove us back to the hotel. Telling us about his life in Florida, and the disruption in the aftermath of hurricanes.

Below Anna our guide outside Roby House, Toby and Gillian at lunch, an abandoned car that needed photographing, the Obama Chair, and a painting in Hyde Park Hair salon.










Comments