Farewell to Joan and Dick

Very sad to leave Deviation Road. I got up early again to sit chatting with Joan and Dick. Joan makes everything seem like a home from home, and it is surprisingly difficult to leave. Joan gave Lorraine and I some of their neighbour's maple syrup and two pairs of beautiful and toasty socks that Joan had hand knitted. I can picture myself on my gold sofa, with my cat, and my feet resplendent in these socks. I shall think of Deviation Road.

Before we left, a trip to see the abandoned kittens with Romy and Joan, which had visibly improved in just a few days. Also we walked into the barn, which is storing some hay, and is currently the happy home of a cat called Lucky Jim. Huge and fascinating space. Joan talking about the stacking of bales that she and Romy did when Romy was a teenager. Romy said the air was full of dust and it was really hot work.

Then some sad goodbyes, and Toby drove us back to Toronto. Arriving home to a happy Meatball cat, and we all had a doze.Both Lorraine and I now much more relaxed than before, and I can think of going home now without shrieking with horror.

In the evening off to meet Momoyo, who is a long term friend of Hiroko. Toby drove us to a Korean restaurant where we had a sort of table barbecue with lots of meat, and cold Japanese beer. All very nice, and Momoyo charming too, and much to my surprise gave Lorraine and I some cured salmon as a present before zooming off in a sporty white car.

Below Romy and the rescue cats, inside the Barn, and Dick and Joan (and Nico's butt).



Comments