A hand like a foot

The bellowing of a bull at dawn from several fields away. And leaving Lorraine dozing happily in bed, a quick cup of coffee and then I was taken for an early morning walk by the dogs Maggie and Nico. They led me into the forest, bounding around and looking impatiently over their shoulders while I stopped to snap photos. Maggie springing tiggerishly in the long grass and the edges of fields planted with fodder crops alfalfa and timothy.

A very still and quiet morning. Later Lorraine and I snuck out to try to snap shots of hummingbirds, and could hear Dick talking indoors. All day, when I was indoors, I was conscious of the house being surrounded by a great quietness.

Lorraine really inspired by Joan's craft work. Showing me with great approval Joan's funky hats that she sells for a good price in a local hairdresser.

When Ethan came around, the afternoon was given over to gaming. For they are fanatics on Deviation Road. We played a game called Stone Age and I was astonished at Lorraine, who within minutes she had learned its mystifying complexities, and by the end of the afternoon was playing as fanatically as Joan or Romy (who is in these circumstances usually referred to by Toby as "The sleeper"). In fact Lorraine won both games.

We paused for another triumphant meal, with steaks masterfully barbecued by Ethan. I ate far too much again. Then fond farewells to Ethan and in the evening we played a spirited six-handed game of euchre to Guernsey rules. (For there is another wrong headed sort of euchre played here too to deviation rules). Joan however rather short changed by playing with Toby and I, old euchre hands, and losing. Twice. As my grandfather would have said, I had a hand like a foot. all night long.

And so to bed.

Below following Nico into the forest, the dialogue of trees and clouds, wildflowers, a hummingbird and a frog.


























Comments